The 2019 Guide to Watching TV and Movies With Hearing Loss

Guide to watching TV or movies with hearing loss.

Do you find yourself struggling to hear the TV, or understand what is being said at the movie theater?

Does it sound like the actors are mumbling or muffled?

Are you constantly reaching for the TV remote to turn the volume up?

Then you might benefit from one of the assistive listening devices (ALDs) available for watching TV and movies.

5 Best Hearing Devices for TV

Even a mild hearing loss can cause difficulty understanding the television. Many people find themselves trying to raise the volume on the TV to hear it better. But, that can cause some disagreement between you and others in your household.

The good news is that there are several TV listening devices that can be used to help make watching TV easier and more enjoyable.

Some are used in conjunction with hearing aids and others can be used without the need for hearing aids. These devices help to eliminate the interference of the background noise and allow the wearer to adjust the volume independently of what others in the room hear.

The 5 best hearing devices to help improve your television are (in no particular order):

1. Wireless Headphones for TV
  2. Wireless Streaming Devices From TV to Hearing Aids
  3. Loop Systems
  4. Wireless Hearing Aid Streaming
  5. Home Theater Systems (Vocal Clarity Devices)

Below you will find some more details about each of these devices, along with an example of each device.

Hearing loss is serious. If you think that you may need a hearing test, use our free online tool to get matched with a hearing specialist in your area.

1. Wireless Headphones for TV

This is the best option for those with hearing loss who do not wear hearing aids. (Definitely check out the ZVOX AccuVoice below too!)

Even if you just have a slight hearing loss, TV assistive listening devices can be used to make the TV volume more comfortable and clear.

Wireless TV headphones help to make the TV sound more clear by creating a direct wireless stream from the television to the wearer’s ears. It eliminates any interference of background noises in the room.

They consist of two parts, a transmitter base that plugs into the headphone jack of the television and a headphone receiver that wirelessly picks up the signal and is worn by the listener. One of the most common TV headphone device are TV Ears, which use an infrared wireless signal.

There are controls on the headphone portion which allow the user to adjust the volume of the TV independent of what is coming out of the TV speakers.

TV Ears

TV Ears. Wireless Headphones for Television.

Read more about TV Ears here

As an alternative to TV Ears, you can also try this product by Sennheiser:

Sennheiser SET840 -TV RF Stereo TV Assistive Listening Headphones System

Sennheiser SET840 -TV RF Stereo TV Assistive Listening Headphones System 640x640

Read more about Sennheiser SET840 here

Other wireless headphones use either a radio frequency signal or Bluetooth signal to create the wireless transmission from the TV to the headset.

There is not necessarily one transmission signal type that is better than the other. It will depend on which system is compatible with your television set. See two examples below:

Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock

(This is an example of wireless headphones that use radio frequency)

Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock

Read more about Sennheiser RS120 here

GOgroove Bluetooth TV Headphones

(This is an example of Wireless headphones that utilize Bluetooth technology)

GOgroove Bluetooth TV Headphones Wireless Connection System for HD Televisions

Read more about GOgroove Bluetooth TV Headphones here

2. Wireless Streaming Devices From TV to Hearing Aids

If you have a hearing impairment, wearing hearing aids will help you to hear the television better. Newer hearing aid models even have specialized TV programs to help with the clarity even more. But, sometimes hearing aids alone are not enough to make TV completely intelligible.

That is when wireless hearing aid accessories that work in conjunction with your current hearing aids are useful. There are a few different methods for wirelessly connecting your hearing aids to your television. You will need to choose the system that works with your specific brand of hearing aid. Be sure to talk to your hearing healthcare professional to get the correct device for you!

Starkey Surf Link Media

(This is an example from Starkey called Surf Link Media)

starkey-surf-link-media-640x360

You can read more here or here.

3. Loop Systems

A loop system is a magnetic field that is placed around the room or in a personal neckloop worn around the listener’s neck. It can connect to the audio output of the television set or pick up the sound coming directly from the television’s speakers. It works through the listener’s telecoil setting on the hearing aids to transmit the TV audio wirelessly to the hearing aids.

The benefit of a loop system is that the hearing aids do not need to be wireless for it to function. They only need to be telecoil compatible. This is helpful for those people with older model hearing aids.

When watching the TV you can turn your hearing aids to the telecoil program to listen to the TV through the loop system. Full room loop systems are becoming more common in public buildings, theatres, and even grocery stores. Some people are now choosing to install these loop systems into their living rooms to avoid having to wear the neckloop portion. Room loop systems should be professionally installed.

Sennheiser RR 840 S-9

Sennheiser RR 840 S-9

Read more about Sennheiser RR 840 S-9 here

4. Wireless Hearing Aid Streaming

The majority of hearing aids now sold are wireless hearing aids. Wireless hearing aid technology means that not only can the hearing aids communicate with each other, but they can also wirelessly communicate with other external devices such as televisions, smartphones, and computers.

The method by which the wireless streaming occurs will vary from hearing aid to hearing aid. Some work through Bluetooth, while others may work through FM connections.

Most wireless hearing aids connect to the television through an intermediary device. This device can either be worn around the neck or seated near the listener or television. This intermediary device receives the hardwired or wireless audio signal from the TV before sending it to the hearing aids via another wireless connection.

The hearing aid wearer can switch to the wireless streaming mode with just a press of a button and the TV setting can be customized.

These wireless hearing aid accessories can be purchased through your hearing healthcare professional. There is a different model needed for each individual hearing aid brand.

Phonak TV Link

(This is an example of a wireless TV device)

phonak-tv-link-640x360

Read more about the Phonak TV Link here or here

With the emergence of the Made for iPhone “Smart” hearing aids, direct Bluetooth streaming from the television to the hearing aids should be available in the near future.

5. Home Theater Systems (Vocal Clarity Devices)

As of right now the only home theater system (we recommend) which drastically improves sound clarity is the ZVOX AccuVoice SoundBase.

The ZVOX SoundBase 450is a revolutionary surround sound system design. It produces rich, room-filling home theater sound without all the clutter of a traditional surround sound system.

It’s honestly as simple as plugging it into your television, and activating the AccuVoice technology. We were shocked how significantly it improves clarity. You can check out our full review here with pictures and a lot more details.

ZVOX AccuVoice SoundBase 450

ZVOX AccuVoice SoundBase 450

Read more about the AccuVoice here or check out our full review here

Top 2 Hearing Devices for the Movies

1. Assistive Listening Headset

When hearing aids are not enough, or for those who do not yet wear hearing aids, assistive listening devices can be worn during a movie to amplify the audio, similar to wireless headphones worn for the TV. This will allow the user to adjust the volume of the movie independent of what the rest of the audience hears.

Assistive listening headsets can be requested at the customer service desk for most major movie theaters.

Just check out these “assistive moviegoing” options from AMC listed here.

Update 2/10/16: We finally tested a pair at our local Regal theater. Check out our review below.

It took less than five minutes to speak with someone at the customer service desk inside Regal, and get set up with an assistive listening headset. Here’s what it looked like:

regal-listening-device-640x360

From what I could tell the device is essentially a Bluetooth pack that is synced to your specific movie’s audio. The device is equipped with volume controls, just like any headset.

The main issue I had was with the headphones themselves. They’re typical on-ear headphones, with no noise-cancelling features. This meant the headphone audio was competing with the surround sound in the theater along with other ambient noises.

Regal headphones assistive listening device.

As you can see from the picture above, any standard jack headphones would work.

I think the device could be useful, but I’d probably recommending bringing a headset that you are comfortable wearing and preferably noise cancelling. If you wear hearing aids or other hearing devices you can check out our recommended headsets.

2. Personal Closed Captioning Systems

Closed captioning systems are written visual cues relayed to the user in real-time with the movie. The written captions show the dialogue, narration, and sound effects during the movie. Only the user of the device will see the captions displayed on a small screen connected to the chair, or to glasses.

However, not all movies and/or movie showtimes are closed captioned. If you plan on relying on closed captioning, it is best to check with the theater prior to the movie.

If you typically attend a Regal Cinemas, check out this video below that details their closed captioning system.

There is no need to avoid the movie theater or get frustrated with not being able to enjoy the show. The assistive listening headset and/or closed captioning systems available at most theaters can help improve your movie-going experience.

Lindsey Banks

Audiologist

Lindsey Banks is a graduate of the Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) program at the University of Florida. She uses her diverse experience in hearing healthcare and her passion for helping people to provide credible information to those with hearing loss who visit Everyday Hearing.

Comments

1. Kate says:

ZVOX systems with AccuVoice technology should be added to this list. AccuVoice puts all the audio focus on the spoken word, diminishing the effect of many interfering sounds. It uses hearing aid technology to make voices unbelievably clear and easy to understand.

1. Hi Kate. Thank you for letting us know about the ZVOX system. We would be happy to learn more about your product. I have received your email and will be in touch!

2. Jim Gremanis says:

Bought one expense hoped it would be the end all. It’s nice speakers but it does not good for hearing impaired. I’ve been looking for a solution for a few years now and nothing has presented itself yet. I’ve tried wireless earphones with suppose aid in hearing but it’s just loud and still garbled. If you know of a real product let me know.

1. cece says:

Hi, My mom is hearing impaired as am I.

She needs new hearing aids but must wait for insurance approval. While at a museum. she got to try an amplifier. it worked great. She actually got teary eye’d because she heard sounds long lost.

They aren’t a substitution for hearing aids but with a good headset they work great. She is now able to watch TV without closed captioning.

They are the pocketalker 2 from williams sound. I got one on ebay for $50.00 well worth the money.

1. Denise says:

Thanks going to check this out ASAP for my Mom.

1. Ingrid Zerafa says:

I got one from ebay too. It makes miracles! IMPORTANT! As somebody already sugggested, It is NOT a substitute for Hearing Aids, but it helped me a lot!

2. Mia says:

Hi Jim Gremanis,

Please, do you mind to tell me if you got it from USA or another country?

thanks

3. Joan connell says:

Hi how do I use your sound bar I don’t have any instructions

4. Help I think this is what I. Need

2. Alan Watton says:

Hi I have no earing in my right ear. I wear a aid in my left, and struggle to hear TV . I have Bellman & Symfon Domino with neck loop.. I have a hard wired system to a jack point by my chair, which I plug in a geemarc single C L hook using the T . I some time plug in head phones.
    I would like to have a better headphone system for a single ear. My ideal system would be be able to hear the T.V. Whilst still being able to hear my wife asking me if I would like another drink. Only joking .
    I am finding it difficult to get any good advise

Alan,

There’s really two options that I’m aware of:

1) If you are interested in a new hearing aid, there are some available that can connect directly to a TV with a single interface (i.e. no headphones needed). The Oticon Opn comes out the end of May or the ReSound LiNX 2 are options.

2) You could possibly try a pair of wireless bone conduction headphones (read about them here). They will allow syncing to Bluetooth enabled devices, while also allowing you to hear ambient sounds (i.e. your wife), but they fit around both ears.

Let me know if that helps.

1. Ingrid Baum says:

Plug your tv into a stereo system and use the headphone exit to plug in your headphones. My husband id deaf on one side and the other ear has only 40%. He uses a single ear stereo earphone plugged into our stereo device. This cuts of the stereo device for our ears, but not the tv set.

2. Sten Powers says:

I have the Resound hearing aids (Alert 9) with the intermediary device that enables Bluetooth transmission from the TV. The only trouble is the aids seem to deplete the batteries rather quickly in this mode. Also it only works with fresh batteries, in fact the aids have trouble communicating with my cellphone, which is necessary to set up the TV link. (The TV device connects via the optical cable – which falls off easily).

3. Tina Emmott says:

Please could you provide me with more information on this response: single hearing aid that picks up tv sound without the use of headphones

3. Gail Kers says:

We have a tv several years old — my wish list is for a tv that I can plug into the “sound out” jacks that will NOT cut the sound from the television speakers.

Every headphone system including tv ears cuts television sound — then I have to mount the enclosed microphone on the tv near where the sound comes out. It carries the sound of the fans that are inside the tv into the headphones.

Do you have a list of televisions that allow both the regular speakers and the “sound out” jacks to work at the same time? Thanks

1. rpsabq says:

Your TV is cutting the sound, not the TV ears. Your TV is wired to automatically pipe all sound into whatever you have plugged into the headphone jack. Newer TV’s are not that way. I can use my TV ears and the sound still comes out of the TV speakers. It all depends on the T.V.

1. Your TV almost certainly has an RCA audio output connection (a red and a white socket) as well as the headphone jack. Using that will not turn off the normal TV audio. I believe your TV Ears have a standard 1/8″ (3.5mm) audio plug you have been plugging into the matching socket on your TV. For a couple dollars you should buy a converter: 1/8″ input socket for your TV Ears, and a pair of red and white wires output with RCA connectors for your TV. These adapters are widely available in stores and online. That allows the TV Ears and normal room audio to be independent volume.

1. Cate says:

A lot of modern TV’s don’t have a RCA sound output.

2. Hi Gail. I’m pretty sure any of the newer TVs with a TOSLINK optical connection will do what you are looking for.

3. Jan says:

Most Panasonic TVs allow you to plug in a Headphone and still get sound through the TV. I contacted Panasonic myself and they gave me a list of which TV’s have this adaptation. I suggest you contact them direct.

4. Ed Chipman says:

I have used TV Ears to good success for several years. With the addition of “streaming”, I now have a problem. On some (not all) shows I get a tic tic noise through the TV Ears with zero audio. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

1. Hi Ed
      This is an issue when the TV Ears are used with a Smart TV receiving a wireless internet signal using the recommended Optic cable.

I found the solution on CNET: the solution is to reconfigure the TV speaker sound settings by going into the TV menu (1) select Sound (2) select SPDIF Output (3) select Audio Format PCM (4) select PCM . (5) connect the TV Ears transmitter to the TV by using the analog cable connection ( a green plug at each end ). This connection option is shown as step 2.2 on page 11 of the TV Ears 5.0 User’s Manual .

Hope that helps!

5. Dom says:

How do I tell if my new TV/cable has bluetooth for ALL TV viewing or not, so I know which kind of wireless hearing system to buy?

1. Jack Salbreiter says:

Best Buy tells me all newer smart tv’s have Bluetooth and I use a cheap Bluetooth in ear headset…the kind you use for talking on the phone. Mine is a Jabra mini. It works fantastic and only costs about 30 bucks.

6. Scott Merrill says:

Check out TV Ears digital speaker. Seems to be just the ticket I’m looking for. I’m ordering 1 today. Not cheap at just under $200 but it seems to address all my issues without having to wear some extra device and still be able to control tv sound seperately.

7. Are there self-contained ALD’s where the User carries everything on his/her Person; maybe something worn around the head or neck that does not require plugging in to anything. Everything needed is carried on the Movie Theater Goer.

8. . . . more. I often-times attend Movies; and, invariably, have trouble hearing at lower frequencies. I ask Management to turn up the Sound; some will – – most don’t. I have used their headsets and hand-held devices; but, often-times they are not very useful and, in need of repair or adjustment. I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY OWN SELF-CONTAINED DEVICE THAT I CAN CARRY OR WEAR TO A THEATER; AND, NOT HAVE TO DEPEND ON ANYONE ELSE.

Can anyone help? I would like one that works well; and, is durable.

9. Kristjana Palsdottir says:

I am about to buy some headphones for TV for my mother to use at our TV when she visits. She has some device at home which cut of all sound of the TV. I would like to get some device that does not cut of the sound. She is deaf on one ear and have just about 10% left on other ear. My TV is LG flat screen from 10 years ago. What would you suggest? And what shall I look for on the TV? Not very tecknical. ;) Do I need a new TV also? Please I would love some good advice.

1. Sten Powers says:

You need a new TV. It would not have to be a top-level model but it must be one with audio output – whether 3.5 mm headphone jack or Toslink digital out. Going from there, headphones like TV Ears might be your best choice (if the patient tolerates headphones). If not, try a soundbar – one that has a Center channel speaker or a model with a specific “voice-mode”.

2. See my reply to the same question above. Most TVs have an RCA (red and white jacks) audio output as well as a headphone output. There are adapters to convert your TV Ears to these RCA connectors, widely available for a couple dollars. Optical audio is available on many newer TVs but RCA has been available for decades.

10. Suzy says:

I do not wear hearing aids but do have an issue hearing the TV. Volume isn’t the issue, it’s that spoken dialog seems drowned out by the other tracks on the TV…music, etc. It’s as if the voices are too low for me to hear them clearly. Supposedly, my Sony TV is set to “Clear Voice’, but it doesn’t seem to help. Is there a device, or TV that can separate voices from the rest of the sound track ?

1. Steven Allen Cohen says:

Our Samsung 55″ smart tv has an adjustment to make the voices more dominate over the music back round noise

1. Clarissa Reeves says:

Do you have this Sumsung TV that has the adjustment to make the VOICES more dominate over the MUSIC BACK ROUND NOISE in a smaller TV other than the 50″ Smart TV? Your reply will be very much appreciated.

You can get any size or brand TV you prefer and hook up a sound bar speaker to it. We prefer the ZVOX TV speaker with Accuvoice to help distinguish the voices from the background noise.

11. Rob in Florida says:

Hello everyone. I was hit with bi-lateral Meniere’s nine years ago, so the hearing loss I deal with is somewhat different than most because with Meniere’s, there is a wall of extreme noise in the ears that you have to hear past or “over”.

The noise also constantly goes up and down and changes in frequency which provides another unique problem. There is also extreme hypersensitivity to sound so that limits how loud a device can be to the ear before pain. This makes hearing aids that are basically just sound amplifiers making sound louder not an option.

My former career was as a sound engineer (go figure) and after this devastating disease hit me, I began looking for an option to hear the TV or audio from my computer since I could not understand anything through the speakers (my hearing loss is almost total in one ear and about 75% in the other). Because of my background in sound I thought that I should be able to come up with something. By trial and error I arrived at something that works well for me, should work for other Meniere’s suffers, and MAY help those with other kinds of deafness.

Here’s what I did and I hope brand names are allowed in this forum:

What I did on my office TV and computer, and my LCD 42″ flat screen in my bedroom was hook up a nine step audio equalizer that then feeds a headphone amplifier. I plug my headphones into the amplifier and I can hear the TV/computer audio quite well on all but the worst Meniere’s days. I also use closed captioning turned on all the time.

The two devices I use are the Behringer Mini FBQ 800 Nine Band Graphic EQ and the Behringer HA400 Micro Amp (total cost not including cabling is right around $100). I run a line from the TV/computer audio output to the EQ first, then a jumper cable to the headphone amp that I have Velcroed on top of the EQ. I plug my Sony MDR-7506 headphones ($100 but any good headphones or ear buds will work) into the amp and adjust the EQ and the amp so I can hear. With Meniere’s, the noise constantly changes so this setup allows me to instantly boost the level of frequencies and overall volume.

It should also work very well for other types of hearing loss. I ordered all of the equipment from Amazon.com but it can be ordered from many other places too. You’ll need connector cables to hook things together as well as a long cable to run from your TV around the edge of your room to the gear on a lamp stand or night stand.

I’d be glad to further advise with a diagram, purchase links and photos of my setups if you’d like….Rob

Rob, this is a great in-depth response. Would you mind if we added your setup to the main article above?

1. Rob says:

Wesley, I’d be honored. I’m in the process of creating an in-depth photo blog that will step non-audio-savvy folks through the simple process of hooking almost any TV or computer up to the gear described. Once done, I’d be glad to let you know about that. Most people are like my wife who like lots of pictures and diagrams to follow.

1. Robin in MN says:

Rob,

I read your 2017 explanation of your hearing set up for TV. I also have Menieres, so far only in one ear, but significant hearing loss in the other ear as well. You mentioned you were going to make a guide with pictures and diagrams. I would love to be able to see that. I’m not at all tech savvy. I’m trying to find someway to be able to hear TV better.

Even with my hearing aids, I depend on closed captions to comprehend the voices. My tinnitus is variable as you described. Sometimes it’s so loud I think it will drive me insane.

Thank you for your willingness to share your expertise.

2. M Holligan says:

Thank you for article. Would like the more information you mentioned. Thank you for your help. M Jolligan

3. Howard Odzer says:

Rob, I am a fellow Floridian (Delray Beach) with bilateral Meniere’s. I am totally not
      handy in working with audio equipment but the idea of pictures demonstrating how
      to connect everything sounds like a Godsend. My email is posted below.I don’t believe
      in taking something for nothing and would be happy to pay you for any trouble.
      It would be a blessing at this time of year.

Thank you.

Howard Odzer

4. Donna Fogarty says:

Rob, I’m pulling out my hair trying to get my mother set up. Bluetooth pairing is something beyond her t chncial ability. Was looking for a way to hard wire, but Best Buy said there is no ya. Can you send me your diagram and list of equipment that you use?

5. VINCENT WRIGLEY says:

Hi Rob,

I was very interested to read your post re. bilateral Meniere’s. I too have this condition. I was diagnosed about a year ago and am at the extreme end of the age-range (at 76 years). I also share your symptoms of fluctuating hearing loss, (in my case more pronounced in right than left ear) and poccasional hyperacusis. I can send you an email attachment of my recent audiograms to show more precisely what I’m talking about but would need your email address to do this. From what you say it would seem your hearing loss is more pronounced than mine but with Meniere’s, given the progressive nature of the condition, any loss is a worry.

At first, when I read your ‘fix’ to help with your own loss I thought the two devices you mention might not be available here in UK. But I’ve checked and they are and I want to give your solution a go. As a classical music listener I’m finding that upper frequency sounds are thinned and fragmented and the bass drum sounds like a bomb being dropped. I’m hoping the ‘equalizer’ might make it possible for me to manage a return to the more natural sound I enjoyed pre-Meniere’s. TV sound for me (with captions) is tolerable. Films, though, are often problematic and I would like to make improvements if I can.

I would be most grateful if you could send me the ‘diagrams’ and ‘pictures’ of your set-up. I’m not a sound-engineer but not a total dummy when it comes to audio set-up.

Meniere’s is such a miserable condition but there may be just a chink of light coming into the picture. The REGAIN project in UK is just about to test on human subjects the effects of gamma secretase inhibitors to stimulate the regrowth of inner-ear cells lost to Meniere’s (and other) conditions. I put my name forward for this trial but was told at the end of last week that since I had fluctuating hearing-loss I would be unsuitable. The treatment will be by intratympanic injection of the drug in the ‘bad’ ear but the ‘good’ ear needs to be stable so that the effects of the drug in the ‘bad’ can be measured against it. The logic of this protocol escapes me; I think that a ‘bad’ ear considered on its own before and after treatment and related to audiogram history should be able to tell a story of improvement or no improvement. My own specialist (Elliott Benjamin, head of ENT at Charing Cross Hospital) is prominently involved in this trial so I will write to him in the coming week to point this out. Even if the present protocol for the trial cannot be changed, I see no reason in the future (assuming the treatment is effective in humans and not just mice!) that it should not be rolled out for the benefit of any sufferer of sensoineural hearing-loss.

At the moment there’s no talk of cost in relation to the treatment. It may be free on the NHS in UK but if it gets stateside there may well be a charge.

The email address for the REGAIN project is:

This, obviously, gives much fuller details of the trial than I have offered here.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope that in Dr Johnson’s words Meniere’s sufferers will not forever be ‘condemned to hope’s delusive mine’ and that real progress might be in sight.

Best of luck and kind regards,

Vincent

12. Felipe Rodriguez says:

Rob,
    Can you please copy me (faru@bellsouth.net) with your additional info and or pictures regarding your design of listening music and or hearing news on tv; I have an implant in the left side(with MEDEL) and in my right side (with STARKEY IQ7) is about 80% loss, I’m desperate looking for solution.
    Thanks

13. shipra says:

I like your article the way you represent all information about hearing. I also publish a blog plzz check that https://www.hearingsol.com/tv-hearing-aid-hearing-loss-people/

14. Joe Mc Gahan says:

Hi, What I would like to know is, how do these products work with people who have Meniere’s, Tinnitus, Hearing Loss, and Hyperacusis, and who cannot wear Hearing Aids due to those products making Hyperacusis worse.

Joe

If you are experiencing all of those symptoms then you likely will not want to utilize an amplification device for the television.

15. Diane says:

Hubby and I both have hearing problems, and would like to be able to have wireless, headsets we can’t find anyone who knows how to do this, can you help? We have wires all across the floor and tried to Y off the receiver, but then only get monoral sound!

16. Dougy says:

Bose Soundtouch 300 has clear voice technology absolutely a game changer for hearing vocals. I wear 2 hearing aids, click one button on the remote and it’s all done! Only downside is it’s cost, nearly bought Sonos but so glad I didn’t. Looking for a smaller sound bar for our bedroom 32″ tele if anyone knows one that’s as good as the Bose 300

17. Thomas Crutchley says:

My wife has hearing issues – loss of higher frequencies. She was for ever turning up the TV volume. She however said it was sound quality issue, i.e. the higher frequencies needed boosting.

So I hooked up the stereo to play the TV sound. This did indeed enhance the sound quality and I thought like would be less stressful.

Sadly it was big mistake. The sounds levels are higher than ever. I fear the neighbours will be round complain.

I am now in a battle with my wife to try to turn the volume down. She refuses to accept how loud the TV is and says I am being unsympathetic. We cannot agree on an acceptable level.

She has hearing aids but refuses to get them checked.

I now avoid watching TV with her as it’s just loud. Very sad.

But beware if buying something to enhance sound quality.

18. Cool gadget!
    The sound quality and features are hard to beat for the reasonable price. I purchased the 24″ AKIXNO soundbar to use with my bedroom TV. I am using the optical interface and everything sounds great. After using the soundbar for several weeks I decided to use the Bluetooth feature to pair the soundbar to my Amazon Fire tablet. I could not get the soundbar to pair with the tablet. I contacted AKIXNO technical support. They were quick to respond and very knowledgeable. To resolve the Bluetooth issue they shipped a new soundbar to me at no cost. I am very happy with the AKIXNO soundbar and their outstanding customer service.
    Hope this helps,
    Nordfalcon

19. Vicky Newton says:

Does anyone happen to know if the Phonak Cros hearing aids can be paired to use with an ALD? Ideally I could drop out the transmitter and pair the receiver with an audio device, but not sure if this configuration is even possible.

Many thanks,
    Vicky

Hi Vicky
      The CROS device itself will not pair with an ALD but all Phonak wireless accessories can be connected and used with the hearing aid on the better ear (receiver). If a streaming signal is received by the hearing aid, the streaming signal from the CROS is automatically put on hold. The connection to CROS will be re-established automatically when streaming from the accessory is stopped. Hope that helps!

20. Mark Johnson says:

Is there a company or service that will go to the home of a hearing loss person and fit them with the best system for them? Older and infermed people can’t always get to a store. This is for aids to help hear TV only.

Depends on where you are located, but yes there are several independent companies that will do house calls for these types of services. I would call a local Audiologist and see if they know a company that offers this.

21. jeffrey high says:

Did you do any research into TV’s as a lot of the new ones are not suitable for a hearing impairment person. i have hearing aids but not expensive ones , sold my sennheiser 840 because my new Samsung doesnt have a headphone socket, so bought bluetooth tv ears , and yes they work but no matter what i use (tried optical ) the sound from the tv is cut off, so all that is great if your a person living by yourself because no one else in the room will hear the TV sound. Very discriminating. Before investing in any new technology make sure its going to work with your tv. my old (6 years )panasonic work great with the headphone socket and other people could adjust the sound for their listening.

22. I’m glad you pointed out that most wireless headphones can be connected to the television set by using an intermediary device. My mother has recently moved in with us since she’s been needing more care lately, but the high volume she uses on the TV has been driving me crazy. I know she needs new hearing aids, so this would be the perfect opportunity to connect them to the TV. I think it’ll make life easier for the both of us, so thank you for the tip!

Glad we could help!

23. Eric Belongia says:

I love all the ideas for helping the hearing impaired enjoy TV/movies again, but how can we keep them connected with their non-impaired family members? The impaired person can hear TV clearly using amplifier headphones, but can hear no one else in the room when using the headphones. Is there a product that lets all family members use headphones (with varying amplification) as well as a simple voice chat so they can converse while watching?

The best solution for this scenario would be to wear bluetooth hearing aids that are wirelessly connected to the TV. This allows the wearer to stream the TV directly to their hearing aids, as well as still hear the live conversation of the room.

24. I am a 73 year old woman senior and don’t understand what Bluetooth can do.

I just want a hearing aid amplifier for hearing tv and conversations
    without being plugged into anything.

I like the look of the microphone hooked over the ear and pointing forward. The hook needs to be sturdy and stay in place. I can’t affor anything expensive.

It sounds like you need a pair of receiver-in-the-ear or behind the ear digital hearing aids that can connect wirelessly to a TV adaptor. These are available from an Audiologist in many different price ranges. Discuss your budget for the devices with your hearing provider and they will be able to recommend a device that will work for you. Some of my favorite budget friendly options include the Oticon Siya or Phonak Marvel M50.

25. mansi says:

thanks for sharing the site.

26. David Crawford says:

I would like listen to the TV via bluetooth to my hearing aids while my wife is listening through the TV speakers. The problem is that I hear the sound twice due to the slight delay in sound transmission through the air. How do I combat this?

Depending on the device you have, there may be a blueooth delay when it is streaming from the TV to your hearing aids. You may need to consider a new bluetooth TV adaptor device (that you could get from your Audiologist). The only other way to avoid the delay is to mute the TV speakers when streaming the bluetooth, but then your wife would not hear it.

27. Elise says:

I am trying to help my father enjoy television more like he used to. He has hearing loss, but won’t wear the hearing aids, and he had a long career as a musician. He is 95% blind now so he can’t read lips anymore, and can’t read the captions fast enough. He said if he turns the volume up high enough to hear the TV, it will bother the folks in the apt next door (he’s in a senior step facility).
    The zvox sound bars sound especially good, but I wonder if he would still have to turn the volume way up on that?

The zvox sound bar would be helpful but if he is worried about the volume of the TV he should use a pair of the wireless headphones. The TV ears of one of the Sennheiser devices above would be great options.

28. Ronald Cornelius says:

I have been wearing hearing aids for over 50 years and continue to search for better aids. In the last two years I have added Starkey canal aids and Oticon behind the ear aids. They both have the same inherent problems they have always had. Too much feedback with canal aids and too much sound from behind with the behind the ear models. The one amazing advancement has been the Bluetooth wireless streaming from the Oticon tv directly to the aids. There is a separate channel on the aids that allows much better clarification than otherwise possible. The tv sound can be adjusted to any volume for other listeners or even muted while the user of the aids can set their own volume on the aids. What I can’t understand is how this is the only device that really works and why manufactures can only provide this kind of improvement on tv and not real life. It is very disheartening to see cities all over tearing up street corners so that the are wheel chair accessible and millions of people are unable to hear well enough to even watch tv or go to the movies. Most of these street corners will never see a wheelchair and ADA knocks themselves out making sure wheelchairs can go anywhere. I only wish those of us with hearing losses had more obvious means of conveying our handicap. Our only choice is to withdraw from communication in public.

1. You express a very real problem for people with hearing loss. Hearing loss is one of the “hidden disabilities” that is difficult for people to understand. As far as the TV system goes, that’s great that it is working so well for you! The reason it doesn’t work that well in real-life is with the TV device there are two separate inputs that can be processed independent of each other, the TV streaming input and your external environment being picked up (or muted) by the hearing aid microphones. In a real life environment, all the sounds are coming into the microphones and can not be easily separated.

2. Doris Salmond says:

I, too, am a hearing aid user and find this forum great for information that unfortunately my audiologist has not given to me to enhance my enjoyment of tv and movies, etc. Also, regarding your comment on corner ramps, they might best be used in busy city areas. Putting them in residential areas with low volume of traffic and with homes having driveways just does not make sense.