10 Life Changing Alarm Clocks for People with Hearing Loss

Living with a hearing loss means that you need to make some accommodations for yourself when it comes to daily living, like making sure your alarm clock wakes you up on time. This can be something that is easily overlooked by someone first diagnosed with a hearing loss, but there are several options available for alarm clocks for people with hearing loss.

In most cases, those with a mild hearing loss will not need to worry about having an alternative alarm clock because the level of traditional alarm clocks will be loud enough to hear.

However, those people with moderate, severe, or profound hearing loss will likely need to have a better way of waking up than just the regular old buzz of an alarm clock. Because people with hearing loss do not wear their hearing aids or cochlear implants to bed (in most cases), the level of the alarm clock may not be above their hearing impairment to be heard.

Book your free hearing consultation today

Hearing loss is serious. If you think that you may need a hearing test, we can help you find a hearing specialist in your area.

Book Appointment

Instead of just having a louder alarm clock, there are also vibrating alarm clocks and light up alarm clocks that are a great alternative. These alarm clocks are perfect for those who have been newly diagnosed with hearing loss, have progressive or fluctuating hearing loss, the hard of hearing teenager that is going off to college, or those who are in the market for a new and up-to-date alarm system.

Our #1 Pick

Sonic Bomb with Super Shaker

sonic-super-shaker

If you're the type of person that loves waking up to the natural sunlight, then the Philips Wake-up Light will be perfect. Inspired by the sunrise, this alarm uses a combination of light and sound to help keep your circadian cycle intact.

The light alarm also has a sunset feature that allows you to ease into bed at night as the light eases off.

Our Runner-Up

Philips Wake-Up Light HF3520

philips-wake-up-hf3500

What makes a good alarm clock for hearing loss?

The best alarm clock for the hard of hearing provides an alternative visual or vibrotactile alert, rather than only a generic audio alert signal such as a buzz, beep, or radio. The alert signal can be in the form of a vibration or light, and can also include an adjustable frequency tone or amplified signal if the user wishes.

Top 5 vibrating alarm clocks for people with hearing loss

A vibrotactile alert on the alarm clock is a vibration that can placed under the pillow, under the mattress, or worn on the wrist. These can be used by people who don't want to wake up their bed partner, but are also a perfect alternative for those with hearing loss to not have to rely on hearing the audio alarm.

#1 Sonic Bomb with Super Shaker

An alarm clock that has all three alerting types: a 113 dB amplified audio, pulsing alert light, and vibrating bed shaker attachment.

• Audio alert: 113 dB audio alarm with adjustable tune and volume control. Can be turned off to not disturb bed mate.
  • Vibrotactile alert: Connectible bed shaker
  • Visual alert: Red flashing alert light
  • Extras: Comes in 5 colors, 1-30 minute selectable snooze time

#2 Sonic Alert Super Shaker SB200

sonic-alert-super-shaker-sb200

A dual alarm with extra loud alarm and vibrating bed shaker.

• Audio alert: 113 dB alarm with adjustable tone and volume control
  • Vibrotactile alert: Super Shaker bed vibrating unit
  • Visual alert: None
  • Extras: 1-30 minute selectable snooze time

#3 ShakeAwake Vibrating Alarm Clock

shake-awake-vibrating-alarm-clock

A pocket size travel vibrating alarm with vibration and/or beep alarm.

• Audio alert: Beep setting, can be turned off to vibrate only
  • Vibrotactile alert: Pulsing vibration
  • Visual alert: None
  • Extras: Pocket-size, Battery operated, Travel-friendly, 4-minute snooze

#4 Ditto

ditto-wearable-vibrating-alarm-clock

A silent vibrating bracelet alarm that connects with your smartphone.

• Audio alert: None
  • Vibrotactile alert: Vibrates on your wrist, set using the app
  • Visual alert: None
  • Extras: Battery operated, travel-friendly

#5 Smartshaker 2 By iLuv

iluv-smartshaker-2-wireless-alarm

Smartphone integration and bluetooth allows you to wake up on time through sight, sound, and shake.

• Audio alert: Select from pre-programmed ring tones
  • Vibrotactile alert: 3 levels of vibration
  • Visual alert: Can be paired with iLuv's Smart Bulbs for a sunrise wake-up
  • Extras: Travel-friendly, available in black or white

Top 5 light up alarm clocks for people with hearing loss

A visual alert on the alarm clock can be in the form of a light up alarm. These are often used by people with normal hearing as a more therapeutic way to wake up, and are also a great alternative for people with hearing loss.

#1 Philips Wake-up Light HF3500/60

philips-wake-up-hf3500

Uses a combination of light and sound to wake you up in a more natural way.

• Audio alert: Beep that progresses in volume
  • Vibrotactile alert: None
  • Visual alert: Gradual light increase to mimic a sunrise with 10 brightness intensity settings
  • Extras: 9 minute snooze function

#2 Nature Bright Sun Bliss

nature-bright-portable-therapy-wake-up-alarm

Portable light therapy and wake-up light that simulates the sunrise.

• Audio alert: None
  • Vibrotactile alert: None
  • Visual alert: Gently wake up with the light that mimics a sunrise
  • Extras: Travel-friendly

#3 Philips Wake-up Light HF3520

philips-wake-up-colord-simulation-alarm

Uses a combination of light and sound to wake you up in a more natural way.

• Audio alert: Choose from 5 natural wake-up sounds or FM radio
  • Vibrotactile alert: None
  • Visual alert: Colored sunrise simulation gradually increases in intensity, 20 light intensities to choose from up to 300 lux.
  • Extras: 9-minute snooze

#4 Warkit L1 Wake UP Light

warkit-wake-up-alarm-light

A rechargeable portable LED alarm clock.

• Audio alert: 5 nature sounds to choose from
  • Vibrotactile alert: None
  • Visual alert: Gradual brightening light over 30 minutes, 7 color options
  • Extras: Can be used as bedside lamp, Battery-operated

#5 Vimicy Wake Up Light

wake-up-light

Wake up naturally with several light colors and nature sounds to choose from.

• Audio alert: 6 nature sounds and FM radio, 15-level volume
  • Vibrotactile alert: None
  • Visual alert: 7 colors and 10 brightness intensities to choose from
  • Extras: 5-minute snooze function

Another alternative alarm clock for the nose

There is one more alternative for an alarm clock that uses the sense of smell to awaken you.

Sensorwake Olfactory Alarm Clock

sensorwake-olfactory-alarm-clock
If your sense of smell is your strongest sense, you may want consider the olfactory alarm clock. Choose from 6 scents that will motivate you to get up: seaside, grass, toast, peppermint, espresso, croissant, or chocolate. Definitely a unique way to wake up!

Final thoughts

Whether you choose to wake up with an audio, visual, vibrotactile, olfactory, or a combination of alerts, it doesn't matter as long as it works for you.

Depending on the severity of your hearing loss, it is not wise to rely on only an audio alarm clock. Those beeps or buzzes can be easily missed while you sleep. Choose from one of the vibrating or light up alarm clocks and rest assured you'll be awake on time.

Comments

1. Jeff says:

I aboslutely love natural light alarm clocks. Never thought I would have such a calm wakeup.

2. Kimberly Easdon says:

My daughter is profoundly bilaterally deaf. Have tried boom, natural light, and bed shaker and none of them work. She is about to turn 16 and I worry she never will find work if unable to rise on her own. I have to physically move her body out of bed. Any suggestions? Also, she is a transplant recipient and sleeps deeply. Thanks!

1. Jonathan says:

I’m sure you’ve explored why she sleeps so deep. If not I would do a sleep study with her to see if you can figure out what the issues are. Maybe she has Central or obstructive sleep apnea? Thanks, concerned respiratory therapist.

2. Asha M V says:

Hello, I have created a product prototype for this case. I am student and would like to get a feedback from you if possible. If you are willing to give me a feedback I can give you my E-mail address.

1. Manda says:

Hi! I have the same problem! I can’t wake up to my light/vibrating/extremely loud alarms and I don’t know what to do. I’m 22 now and soon I will have to get up for work by myself.

2. Roshan says:

Hi Asha,

I am not deaf, but an extremely heavy sleeper. I have also tried boom, natural light, and bed shaker and none of them work on me as well – (The Sonic Bomb Alarm Clock With Super Shaker- SBB500SS sometimes works to wake me up but that is hit or miss). I have done two sleep studies and according to my report, I do not have Sleep Apnea.

I have to rely on others to make sure I get up on time for work, or school – and due to that I can not live on my own – as well as cause stress on loved ones.

I am not sure if my situation would assist you with your research in regards to the feedback your solution, but I would be more than happy to provide feedback if given the opportunity.

I hope to hear from you soon,
        Roshan.

3. Dawn says:

Asha,
        I have the same problem.
        I am 56 and have had this problem all my life.
        I have never waken up to anything that is reliable. I used to have my parents call me when my kids were little and make sure I got them up for school. I have worked outside the home now for 29 years in which I would sleep through all my alarms 5-6 as loud as they go and still only woke up when my spouse yelled and got upset.
        I Just recently lost my spouse of 35 years and am now a widow whom is raising grandkids whom I adopted about 11 years ago. They have missed school etc. On several occasions because I don’t wake up to help get them off to school.
        To the extent that I was recently charged with braking state laws on having my kids miss to much school. If I can help you, or you can help me please let me know.
        My vacuum on a timer didn’t even work. LOL

4. Sean says:

I also have extreme difficulty waking up and would be very interested in trying another possible solution, since that is the way to possibly find one that does work. I have lost jobs and missed other important events due to my issues and have no been found with any diagnosis that can explain it.

5. Elizabeth Oliver says:

Hi Asha,
        My son has the same situation. He is profoundly deaf in his right ear and because he has an Implant in the left he has zero residual hearing. I have to shake him awake every morning, which is a problem now because he is an adult with a job but I still have to wake him everyday. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work. And I don’t think he has an sleeping problem, he’s just deaf. I would be interested in any type of help. Thanks!

1. Have you considered one of the wrist-worn vibrating alarms for your son?

6. Laurence Baës says:

Hello Asha,
        I’m French but I live in Spain. Both my children (24,21) are profoundly deaf. They are living on their own but they get stressed because sometimes they can’t wake up in the morning using vibrating alarms. I’m desperate to find a device to help them with this problem and I’m prepared to test any kind of technology that might help them. I don’t mind the distance. Hope to hear from you soon!

1. I would consider trying one of the vibrating alarms that are worn on the wrist, such as the Ditto device above.

3. David says:

For most of us who are hearing impaired it’s finding a device that emits a sound within our best hearing range. It’s frequency Hz that I am interested in, nothing times two equals nothing, so louder decibels dB don’t solve the problem.
    None of the product specifications give this required information
    I am looking for an alarm clock omitting a low frequency out put in the range 250 to 500 Hz.

4. Ann says:

I agree with David,
    I want an alarm clock with really bright lights that flash at eye level, has a loud alarm in my best hearing frequency & a vibration system that will really wake me up.

Figure if I have all, I will wake up. These days I sleep with one hearing aid in so that I can hear the regular, but loud clock radio.