Could you benefit from the latest hearing aid technology? Locate trusted hearing centers in your area

Headphones And Hearing Aids (Can You Wear Both?)

How to wear headphones with hearing aids

One question I get a lot from people who are getting hearing aids for the first time is “Can I wear headphones to listen to music while wearing my hearing aids?”

There’s really two (2) parts to this question:

1. Can you physically wear headphones with hearing aids?
  2. Will headphones make my hearing loss worse?

The answer is: it depends on your hearing aid AND it depends on your headphones.

Below you will find the three main types of headphones that work well with hearing aids, along with a chart that includes our top picks.

Bone Conduction Headphones

Best Bone Conduction Headphones

Best for: in-the-ear (ITE), in-the-canal (ITC), completely-in-canal (CIC), invisible-in-the-canal (IIC)

Top 5 Bone Conduction Headphones for Hearing Aids

Everyday Hearing RankPictureNameTypePrice
1AfterShokz TREKZ Air Open-ear Wireless HeadphonesWireless$$$$
2AfterShokz TREKZ Titanium Open-ear Bluetooth HeadphonesWireless$$$
3Vibrabeats Vidonn F1Wireless$$
4Aftershokz AS500 Bluez 2 Open Ear Wireless HeadphonesWireless$$
5Liwithpro Open Ear Bone Conduction HeadphonesWireless$$
6Aftershokz AS450 Sportz M3 Mobile Bone Conduction Headphones with MicrophoneWired$$
7Panasonic RP-HGS10-G Open-Ear Bone Conduction HeadphonesWired$

Additional tips: If you’re interested in bone conduction headphones make sure to read our detailed guide that includes frequently asked questions and more in depth reviews.

On-ear Headphones

Receiver-in-canal hearing aid worn with on-ear headphones.

Best for: completely-in-canal (CIC), invisible-in-the-canal (IIC)

*Can also be used for: in-the-ear (ITE), in-the-canal (ITC), open-fit receiver-in-canal (RIC)

(*Feedback is more likely to occur with these types of hearing aids)

Top 10 On-ear Headphones for Hearing Aids

Everyday Hearing RankPictureNameTypePrice
2Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium Portable HeadphonesWired$$
3Skullcandy Uproar Wireless On-Ear Bluetooth HeadphoneWireless$$$
4Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II)Wireless$$$$
5AmazonBasics Lightweight On-Ear HeadphonesWired$$
6Sony MDRZX100 ZX Series Stereo Headphones Wired$$
7Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Wireless HeadphonesWireless$$$
8SOL REPUBLIC Tracks HD2 On-Ear HeadphonesWired$$$
9JBL E45BT On-Ear Wireless HeadphonesWireless$$
10Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear HeadphoneWired$$

You may notice we did not include a lot of wireless on-ear headphones. That was mainly because the price tends to increase quite a bit (not always, but usually). However, if you are sure you only want wireless on ear headphones wirelessyou can check here for a larger selection.

Additional tips: For ITE hearing aids you may also be able to wear the circum-aural headphones (or headphones that rest completely cover them unlike supra-aural headphones). With ITE hearing aids of all sizes (ITC, CIC), the round opening in the center of the headphones sits right over the hearing aid, allowing the hearing aid to pick up the music through the microphone.

For IIC or extended wear hearing aids (such as the Lyric) it is easier to wear headphones with your hearing aids because the hearing aid is seated deep in the ear canal. You can easily wear on-the-ear headphones with these hearing aids.

Over-ear Headphones

Receiver-in-canal hearing aid with over-ear headphones.

We just talked about “on-ear headphones,” and now we’re talking about “over-ear headphones.” They may sound the same, and many people may even use them interchangeably, but trust us, they are completely different.

For a better understanding, check out the image below which differentiates between the two types.

Supra-aural headphones (left) sit on the ear, while circum-aural headphones (right) sit over the ear.

On-ear headphones (or supra-aural, left) sit on the ear, while over-hear headphones (or circum-aural, right) sit over the ear.

*Can also be used for: behind-the-ear (BTE), receiver-in-canal (RIC)

(*Feedback is more likely to occur with these types of hearing aids)

Top 10 Over-ear Headphones for Hearing Aids

Everyday Hearing RankPictureNameTypePrice
1Mpow 059 Over Ear Headphones Wireless$
2Sennheiser HD 280 Pro HeadphonesWired$$$
3Sony WH1000XM2 Noise Cancelling Headphones Wireless$$$$
4Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones Wired$
5JVC HARX500 Full-Size HeadphonesWired$
4Photive BTH3 Over-The-Ear Wireless Bluetooth HeadphonesWireless$
5JVC HARX500 Full-Size HeadphonesWired$
6Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling HeadphonesWireless$$$$$
7Panasonic Full-Sized Lightweight Headphones (RP-HT161-K)Wired$
8Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF HeadphoneWireless$$$
9Bluedio T2s Wireless Stereo HeadphonesWireless$
10Photive BTH3 Over-The-Ear Wireless Bluetooth HeadphonesWireless$

Additional Tips: For BTE hearing aids and RIC or RITE hearing aids, it is unlikely that you can wear headphones with your hearing aids unless you carefully position very large over-the-ear headphones like these over your hearing aid. (Note: these over-the-ear headphones are sometimes also referred to as “circumaural headphones”)

The headphones have to completely cover the ear, including the top of the ear where the hearing aid sits.

The positioning of the headphones may be a little different, with the center of the headphone opening up over the top of the hearing aid. This will allow for the hearing aid wearer to pick up the music through the microphone of the hearing aid.

What about earbuds?

I hate to say this, but it’s not likely that any style of earbuds are going to work with hearing aids. The issue is quite simply that the hearing aid already sits in your ear or ear canal, so putting another device in there just isn’t going to work.

(Note: also read our thoughts below about using your hearing aids as earbuds)

We’ve officially covered the most common types of hearing aids and which type of headphones works best with them. So, now let’s move onto question number two from above.

A few more things you should know about wearing headphones with hearing aids.

A lot of people are going to tell you that you shouldn’t wear headphones because they are a primary cause for hearing loss, especially in younger generations. Unfortunately this is only partially true.

Yes, headphones can cause hearing loss. No, they don’t have to…if you use them properly.

• If wearing your hearing aids with headphones, be careful to turn the music down, as the music will be amplified.
  • If the headphones push on the hearing aid or sit too closely to the hearing aid, you may experience feedback, a whistling noise coming from the hearing aid. This is an indicator that you either need to re-position the headphones or are unable to wear those headphones with your hearing aids.
  • Noise cancelling or noise isolating headphones should be your primary choice. The biggest problem with headphones is that people turn the volume up a lot higher than it needs to be primarily because of background noise (i.e. people talking on the bus, loud co-workers, etc.). Noise isolating and noise cancelling headphones help to remove the background noise so you don’t crank up the volume to dangerous levels. Regardless, you should always use a simple sound volume meter app that tells you exactly how loud your music really is. You should aim to be lower than 85 dB if you are listening to music for an extended period of time.

An Even Better Option: Listening to Music with Your Hearing Aids

With the improvement in hearing aid and wireless technology, hearing aids can now BECOME your headphones. There is no longer a need to figure out how to wear headphones over your hearing aids, or take your hearing aids out completely to listen to music with headphones.

“…hearing aids can now BECOME your headphones.”

We’ve put together a table of current headphones that may also be classified as hearables thanks to their wireless connectivity.

PictureNameAvailablePurpose
Starkey HaloYesMade for iPhone/Android Hearing Aid
Resound LiNX3DYesMade for iPhone/Android Hearing Aid
Beltone FirstYesMade for iPhone/Android Hearing Aid
Oticon OpnYesMade for iPhone/First Internet Connected Hearing Aid
Widex BEYONDYesMade for iPhone
Phonak Audéo™ BYesMade for All Bluetooth Devices

With wireless hearing aids like the ones above, you can connect your Bluetooth iPod or iPhone directly to your hearing aid with no wires!

This lets you listen to music through your hearing aids, just as if they were headphones themselves. And the best part is, you’re already wearing your hearing aids so all you have to do is push play!

Comments

1. Mia Ford says:

One of the outstanding pieces i have read this week.

2. Davi says:

Thanks for sharing such an info via this blog. I got my hearing aid when i was 16, now i’m 18 from Toronto. I’m very fond of listening music but because of my hearing aid device, it wasn’t always possible. But your blog has shown me a hope that i can have my hearing aid device and headphone as well at the same time.

1. Lindsey Banks, Au.D. says:

Hi Davi. I’m so glad you found this article helpful! You can definitely keep enjoying your music with your hearing aids!

2. linda says:

I wear behind the ear hearing aids ( I have also worn in the ear)
      Bose -on the ear- headphones are terrific
      No feedback

1. Martyn says:

Can we see a picture of you wearing hearing aids and headphones?

1. Martyn,

I know your reply is in response to Linda, and I’m not sure if you are specifically referring to BTE hearing aids and headphones. But here is a picture of me wearing a hearing aid with a pair of bone conduction headphones.

Bone conduction headphones with hearing aids.

You can read more about them here: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-technology/articles/bone-conduction-headphones/

1. Raj says:

Hi Wesley,

How does bone conduction headphone send sound to your hearing aid. I wear RIE type of hearing aid. Will it work in this case. Is telephone calls clearer than on the ear headphones .

Best Regards

Raj

2. Sarah says:

Linda, not sure you will see this as you posted a year ago, but are you still happy with your Bose headphones? I’m looking to get them for my wife. She has a behind the ear hearing aid and I’m a bit nervous about the feedback and making sure she can still hear the music.

1. Duane says:

Sarah, can’t answer for Linda but my wife and I fight over the wired bose noise canceling headphones all the time. I am of normal hearing but my wife wears over the ear hearing aids. She has over the ear type where the microphone is over the ear and since it looks like a fiber optic wire is nearly invisible and the bulk of the unit is in the ear. But anyhow she loves them. Hope this helps.

3. Henry Goldbaum says:

I recently purchased a portable DVD player(Sylvania) and hope to use it on a long airline flight. It came with earbuds which I can’t use with my Phonak behind-the-ear hearing aids. Other than a computer I do not use devices–/can’t use a cell phone because I have a defibrillator. Don’t know how a blue tooth would fit with the aids. Could you recommend the over-the-ear earphones(I would prefer stereo)you mention, with the adaptationfor sound to come through the hearing aid microphone. Where could I get a set and what is the cost? Thank you for your help.

1. Lindsey Banks, Au.D. says:

Hi Henry. Thank you for your question. As far as an over-ear headphone that you can wear with your hearing aids, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD model: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-stereo-hifi-tv-hd-518 You will have to adjust the open earphone over the microphone of your hearing aids to be able to listen through your hearing aids. Another option would be to use the Phonak TVLInk accessory with your hearing aids. https://www.phonak.com/en_us/hearing-aids/accessories/phonak-tv-link.html This will depend on the model of your hearing aids (whether they are wireless) and whether your new DVD player comes with compatible connections. This is a great option that will allow you to listen to the DVD player audio stream directly through your hearing aids with no additional headphones needed. If you are interested in this option I would recommend you speak to your hearing aid provider.

4. Claire Baker says:

We have a question about the article, where can i contact the person responsible?

1. Claire you can reach us at support[at]everydayhearing[dot]com or via our contact page if you have any questions.

5. Sandy Testani says:

Thank you for the informative article. Unfortunately the very reason I’m at a point where I may have to do something about my hearing loss is the same reason I have to use headphones daily – I’m a medical transcriptionist. So I have to find a combination that works, but at least now when I get in to see the doctor I’ll be armed with more info. Thanks.

6. SHELLY says:

Hello,
    I am the Vice President of a hearing loss chapter in New Jersey. We work with lots of teens and young adults with cochlear implants, who are deaf, and who are hard of hearing. The main one thing that we’ve noticed is that the young deaf/hard of hearing community has a hard time socially in many settings. When it comes to music, many don’t listen to music because they are afraid of the feedback the headphones may give. How are we able to get a company like this to sponsor or host a meeting for our organization where these young people can come together and learn about this technology that is available?

1. Hi Shelly- Can you send me an email at support@everydayhearing.com and let me know what kind of information you are looking for. I’d be happy to help.

2. Frances Bigley says:

My daughter just started middle school (7th grade) and is mainstreamed so doesn’t have any peers that can relate to her hearing loss. We live in Seattle, can you recommend a teen group hearing loss chapter nearby? Thanks

7. Tony says:

I wear widex itc hearing aids. When I wear my corded headphones I get a lot of feedback unless I position slightly off my ear. This has a tendency to move my aids a can cause the mic to be covered. I’ve tried on the ear headsets and they’re even worse. I just bought a Bluetooth over the ear headset. Sony extra bass MDR-XB950BT. I tried them at best buy. Was surprised at the sound and no interference. I tried several major brands and these work best FOR ME. Try this headset and see if they’re good for you.

1. Hi Tony. Thank you for the recommendation. We will be sure to check those out. I’m glad you have found something that works well for you.

2. BFink says:

I agree with this, that the Sony MBR 950XB* headphones are good. I am a lifelong hearing aid user, with a BTE on my left ear. I actually consider myself an audiophile. The Sony headphones turned out to be excellent– they are soft, comfortable, sound very good, and do not interfere with the hearing aid (or cause the whistling feedback). I am leaning towards buying myself a set of these for their Bluetooth capability. I have a pair of SkullCandy headphones that have extra bass, but after an hour of listening they are no longer comfortable. I’ve tried the Bose, Beats, JBL, and other headphones and out of those I think the JBL are comparable to the Sony. Bose and Beats are good but they are not exactly well designed for hearing aid users.

8. Peter says:

There are many headphones that encapsulate the whole ear which are standard of the shelf ,that are fine ,as soon as you mention hard of. Hearing the price escalates ,in most cases those with age related hearing loss can use any phones that are comfortable ..

9. Aaron Johnson says:

My son (4 years old) wears Phonak Sky Q bte hearing aids and we just got a DVD player in the truck so he can watch movies while on long drives. I want to get him the Roger or the pen, would you recommend this for the truck or would it just be too noisy? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, thank you very much in advance.

1. Hi Aaron. I think what you are looking for is something that will wirelessly connect his hearing aids to the DVD player. In that case, I would recommend the Phonak Roger that should be able to connect to the DVD player. That should also help with the noise issues of the car.

2. Sofia says:

I would definitely get the roger pen. I’ve had hearing aids since I was 2 months old, and I had the roger pen in 5th and 6th grade and it’s pretty great.

10. Fred Speck says:

I wear an in the ear hearing aid, Alera 7 ITEdw supplied by Amplifon. Can I use the Seinheiser RS195 with this aid as it supposedly is suitable for people with hearing loss. Also I only have hearing in my left ear. I also have a NHS behind the ear aid which is used as a spare.

F A Speck

1. Hi Fred
      Yes, you should be able to use those headphones. I would also consider a pair of bone conduction headphones as these are very helpful for people with unilateral hearing loss.

11. Rosalia butera says:

Hi! I wear itc hearing aids…they are positioned deep in my ear canal but I take them out daily. I am unable to wear regular earbuds with my hearing aids due to feedback and wanted to know if there are earbuds I can wear while running? Will behind the ear earbuds work?

1. Rosalia, sorry for the late reply!

I wouldn’t recommend earbuds if you have ITC hearing aids. Take a look at our article on bone conduction headphones: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-technology/articles/bone-conduction-headphones/

A lot of people like the AfterShokz that sit over the ear.

12. Nathan says:

It is a very well-written article–however, many hearing aids consist of incredibly tiny speakers, so the bass response is severely lacking. As much as hearing aid companies research and develop products, one should be invented specifically for music. Most of time, unless you want to hear only high frequencies, which are uncomfortable to listen to over long listening sessions, then headphones are still the best option. Also, any headphone can be mad louder with the addition of a headphone amplifier. This makes the signal louder.

13. Melissa says:

Hi,I’m just fixing to get itc hearing aids ,,I also have a plantronic Bluetooth I wear will I still be able to wear it with the itc aids???

1. Hi Melissa. It depends on how far the earpiece of the Bluetooth device goes into the ear, but I wouldn’t recommend wearing them together as it will probably cause some feedback. Instead, I would consider getting a wireless ITC aid that can connect to your bluetooth device without having to wear the earpiece (your hearing aid would act as the earpiece). Several of the top hearing aid brands have wireless itc aids that have this capability and I think it’s the better way to go.

14. Hi, I have a work related hearing loss going back 15 to 20 years. I wear BTE aids. I cant wear Safety headphones ,because none fit without interfering with the Aids controls. since my wife passed away 8 years ago ,i have realised that she was” my ears”. I cant understand every word ,either from conversation or the TV. I have been looking for Headphones to fit over the Aids. but no luck. The general need for Headphones seems to be Music. no mention of the TV. I need wireless H/Ps to help me.. Maybe you can suggest something..Thanks for your time..

1. Kevin, that’s a tough situation. BTE hearing aids seem to cause the most problems for people that want to use headphones.

Lots of times circum-aural (over the ear) headphones end up conflicting with the hearing aid. I would probably check out a supra-aural (on the ear) pair of headphones. I have no personally tried these, but have heard great things about the Bose SoundLink: https://amzn.to/2Nhk3Z5

15. Christoffer Kelm Kjeldgaard says:

Hi!

I loved the article. I am at my first pair of hearing aids because of a minor hearing loss, also cause of my tinnitus, they are BTE with non-blocking cups, also my glasses keeps the hearing aids comfortably in place. My question is this; Over-the-ear headphones with high noise cancellation tend to put a lot of pressure on the sides, and that is a problem for us wearing glasses. However, when I don’t use Over-the-ear headphones my tinnitus gets stronger. Do you have any suggestions for us with glasses and BTE hearing aids combo? Thanks in advance!

1. Christoffer,

I’m glad you liked the article. I wish I had an answer for you, but I’m not sure I do :(

The only thing I can think of is to try a pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones and then possibly “stretch” them. Sometimes newer headphones (even without glasses or a hearing aid) can be very tight. We’ve used shoeboxes in the past. Here is an article that describes a couple ways to “loosen” the headphones: https://lifehacker.com/make-your-tight-brain-squeezing-headphones-more-comfor-5886125

Hope that helps some!

2. Aaron says:

I definitely have noticed this problem as I have BTE and glasses as well. One thing I can suggest also to consider is your glasses’ frames. There are some frames that are extremely thin. This definitely helped me a bit.

16. Wyatt King says:

Saved as a favorite, brilliant site!

17. maquina de coser says:

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit
    and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards!

Maquina,

That would be fine. We’re glad the site has been helpful :)

18. Stiro says:

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog’s posts everyday along with a mug of coffee.

19. David Lee says:

My 4yr old daughter has hearing loss and uses Phonak BTE hearing aids. I’m trying to find headphones she can use at home or when we travel. I’m very interested in the bone conduction headphones since they don’t cover the ear and would allow her to hear us speaking to her. I’m also concerned about the feedback she’d get from using over the ear headphones. Do you recommend bone conduction headphones even if the hearing loss is sensorineural? We have a Phonak Compilot but it keeps going out. We’re on our 3rd one so I’d like to find other options.

1. Hi David
      The problem with using bone conduction headphones with a sensorineural hearing loss is that they may not be able to produce a strong enough vibrotactile stimulation for her to hear without turning it up to a point where she can physically feel the vibrations. If you are going to try it, I would recommend a high quality pair. Check out our list here: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-technology/articles/bone-conduction-headphones/

20. Victor says:

The sound of the hearing aid (behind the ear) inside my over the ear headphones is much lower than usual.

The only way I can use them both is by ‘resting’ the body that holds the hearing aid microphone inside the headphones cushions.

Any other advice?
    I am surprise that no one mentioned this issue, I am the only one ?

1. Hi Victor
      You are likely covering the microphones of the hearing aids with the over the ear headphones. This can be difficult to avoid with behind the ear headphones. I would consider talking to your hearing aid provider to see if there is another connectivity option for you.

21. I find the really big over ear headphones comfortable. V-MODA’s ear cups are fairly big, I only wish their prices were lower. Sound wise, their headphones get great ratings, but I am still not sure they deliver the best value for your money.

1. Thank you for the recommendation.

22. Vaibhav says:

Hi
    Thank you for posting this. I am 19 yrs old and I wear a Siemens in-ear hearing aids. I love to listen to music. I often use headphones to listen at home. I hate the fact that I have to use headphones when I go out as other normal people use earphones. So most of the time I won’t listen to songs when I am out. Are there any products that r compact or small like the earphones?

1. Vaibhav says:

Also when I like to listen to music when I lie down,but wearing headphones makes it difficult.

1. Hi! You may want to take a look at some of the bone conduction headphones that can fit around your ears. However, keep in mind that the sound will not be going THROUGH your hearing aids, so the output of the bone conduction may not be strong enough for you if you have a more significant hearing loss. Here’s some information: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-technology/articles/bone-conduction-headphones/

23. Melinda says:

Do Bose connect to telecoil?

1. Melinda says:

I’m a new single sided phonak 90 wearer

2. I don’t believe so. If you’re looking for a headset that connects through your hearing aid telecoil, I would recommend something like this: https://amzn.to/2V8edvO

1. Markus, Sweden says:

You can use the telecoil program in your hearing aids to all on/over ear headphones!
        No feedback!

Yes, but not all hearing aids have a telecoil.

24. KittenCanaveral says:

I have a pair of Phonak Audeo’s , by any chance has anyone tried the HyperX cloud headsets?

1. We haven’t tried these specific headphones

25. Morgan says:

I’m fifteen and I just got my hearing aids this summer. They are RIC Phonak models, pretty small–the smallest that were available, actually–because my hearing loss is not too severe but definitely significant enough to warrant them. I fought getting them every step of the way, but, little though I care to admit it, I kind of love my hearing aids. They have made school so much easier for me and I can finally have normal conversations with people. I still have a hard time telling people I have them but so far almost everyone has been pretty open and nonchalant about it. The only problem is that it is a complete pain to have to pop them out and put them in the case every time I want to listen to music (which is basically every day on the way to and from the bus stop because music is my life). All the streaming devices are crazy expensive, so I have been trying to find headphones that fit comfortably with them without crushing them against my ears and making feedback or crackling sounds. Thank you for this article and thanks so much for putting in the Amazon links. I am definitely adding a pair of these to my Christmas list!

1. Hi Morgan
      Thank you for your comment! I’m so glad that you are enjoying your hearing aids! I know many many people are hesitant to wear hearing aids, but the benefit of hearing better is so worth it! I’m glad you found this article helpful and I hope you get the headphones you want for Christmas.

26. Sarah says:

Lindsay, I sent a message, but thought I would post here too. I’m looking for a good quality On the Ear, or Over the Ear headphone for my partner who is profoundly deaf and wears a BTE hearing aid. She has shared she has a very hard time hearing through head phones and what she found to work is taking an in ear head phone and placing it on top of the microphone of her hearing aid. Seems she concocted this on her own. When I asked her about it, she said she just has a hard time hearing anything on her iphone using over or on the ear hearing aid. Is there is a really good wireless on the ear or over the ear headphone you might recommend using with an Iphone or smartphone?

1. Sarah says:

sorry correction: When I asked her about it, she said she just has a hard time hearing anything on her iphone using over or on the ear headphones.

2. BFink says:

Try a Sony XB950B1.

3. pete says:

try Bluetooth hearing aids and connect to the iPhone directly, it’s amazing

27. Ken says:

I am new to hearing aids as I have been dealing with sudden hearing loss for the past 3-months and I just got hearing aids last week. I am a consultant and I need to spend a lot of my day in telephone meetings and calls and I tried my on ear headphones I had used before and they are very uncomfortable.

I need a pair of good over the ear headphones that are wired (sometimes clients give me a laptop I need to use) that will work great to listen to these types of things. I dont need extra base and I have a big head with normal to large man ears.

So many options these days are Bluetooth – them again my Resound hearing aids are Bluetooth and will work for music or calls – it’s the computer base meetings (Weber, Skype, etc) that will be tough!

I assume my best option is just find a place with a good assortment of options and demand to try before I buy but and suggestions as to what brands to start with is great – the list here was a huge help.

Thank You!

28. Leila says:

Good morning! What makes a pair of headsets HAC (hearing aid compatible)? I know some are designed specifically to prevent squealing/feedback. I work with clients and try to recommend technology that will enable them to access sounds with a variety of hearing technologies (BAHA, CI, BTE, ITE, etc.). But so few headsets are actually listed as HAC (really only one that I have found, but it has a microphone component which is generally unnecessary – URL below). Please advise.

Thank you!

29. Chris Chartier says:

Hi. I’ve been wearing BTE hearing aids for about 6-7 years. Currently I wear Starkey Halo hearing aids. I’d love to just pipe my computer’s music to them through Bluetooth, but they only work with apple/android devices. My windows laptop won’t connect.

I’ve been using an old pair of wired Sony headphones for about 5 years and they’ve worked well, but the cord is starting to be an issue, so I’d like to get a pair of bluetooth headphones. I just bought Bohm B76, they are nice headphones, but they just seem to hurt after a while, so I don’t think they are working and I’ll have to send them back.

I was wondering what criteria you used in selection of the over-ear headphones? I like the V-moda crossfade you have listed, and they now have a bluetooth version of what I think is pretty much the same headphone. I’ve been trying hard to find the right pair, and wondering what criteria you used?

1. Chris Chartier says:

Update note. I went to store and tried the V-Moda headphones (wired version listed in list) and they felt like they would hurt after a while. I don’t think they would work well with BTE hearing aids.

30. Mo Sherrill says:

This is a wonderful site!! I have looked a dozens of HA sites and nothing compares to the information that is shared on these posts. Currently I am considered profoundly deaf but not quite at the lever where I would qualify for cochlear implants (not that I want them!). I have had HA’s for the past 25 years and have been through at least 6 sets (brands) of HA’s as they keep getting better but my hearing keeps getting worse! And I know I’m not hearing as well as I did with the first pair of analog hearing aids in the mid 1970’s! Regardless, I’m going to be trying the new Oticon Opn HA with receiver #2 (more power). I will be getting an ear mold to fit the new receiver and the TV transmitter to feed these Oticon Bluetooth compatible aids. I am excited about all the Bluetooth possibilities with the Opn HA. Hearing on the phone is almost impossible and the TV is always as challenge. My only question is what type of Bluetooth devices are available to use with the Opn? Can you direct me to a web site with the info? Many thanks and keep up this wonderful resource!

31. John Boyd says:

Hello,

My mother’s fingers no longer work well. She is 90 and has hearing impairment. Her hearing aid is too fiddly, so she doesn’t wear it, so conversations are difficult. She happily wears large wireless headphones to listens to the TV. Is there a set of large comfortable wireless headphones whose sole purpose is to act as a hearing aid……I think she would readily wear these for conversation.

1. Hi John,
      Check out the Williams Sound PocketTalker: https://amzn.to/2Ni8bWH

1. Sudha says:

Hi – related to this question, is there a good amplifying headphone with microphone that can connect to a mobile phone (not bluetooth) for someone who doesn’t wear a hearing aid?

32. Mellissa says:

Hi. I’ve been wearing hearing aids since I was ten, so I’ve spent a lot of time during my teenage years looking for ways to listen to music. I can use any kind of headphones, on or over the ear, as long as I position them over the hearing aids’ microphone instead of the actual ear canal.

When I first got my BTEs (both ears), everything sounded too loud to have been programmed correctly. Like even a car engine made my ears hurt and my hair could make them produce feedback. So I kept lowering the volume judging by what other people could hear, like a certain volume on the radio. This seemed to work and now there’s no feedback even if I press my hands to my ears.

1. Mellissa says:

Oh, and I managed to adapt a pair of earphones to use them with the BTEs. They were the cheap kind that businesses hand out as advertising, with thin rubber earbuds, so I cut them to shape and put a layer of self-adhesive to stick over the microphones. My hair would cover them. But the sound quality wasn’t good anyway so I don’t use them.

33. Carolyn J says:

I have been wearing the Starkey Halo hearing aids and using the associated iPhone app for nearly a year and love them.

As described, they are Bluetooth and I have them paired with my iPhone. I’m a little off topic here, but the world of difference I have experienced is indescribable. Whether it’s music, my phone call, Siri, etc. it plays right into my ears, with an adjustable volume.

I also have my iPhone paired with my SUV. The hearing aid app and my phone allow me to choose whether I want to hear through my hearing aids or the SUV speakers. When in my vehicle, I can listen to a phone call through my hearing aids, but talk through the vehicle’s microphone, i.e. hands free. A truly great milestone for those with hearing loss.

1. Yes Carolyn, you’re right. The Made for iPhone hearing aids make a big difference! Thank you for sharing your experience. To see all the current Made for iPhone hearing aids available, check out: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-aids/articles/the-first-made-for-iphone-hearing-aids/

34. John Witmer says:

I’m virtually stone deaf in my left ear. I have a new ReSound LS91TC that has helped me rejoin the “human race”. (I assume this is what you call an in-the-ear aid.) The only problem I have so far is that I have to take it out to use the telephone to avoid feed-back. (My audiologist says I just need to hold the phone away from my ear, but that doesn’t work for me. I have a Captel telephone which works great.)
    I don’t care about music, but merely want to listen to voices on the computer. At 87 and an ex-musician (don’t ask), I’m a heavy computer user (6 hrs a day)
    What headphones would you recommend?

1. Hi John,
      If you only have hearing loss in one ear then I would recommend you try one of the wired bone conduction headphones to plug into your computer. These make use of your good ear to hear, but gives you a stereo type sound quality. If you have hearing loss in both ears then I would recommend one of the over-the-ear headphones to wear over your hearing aids.

35. Pramod says:

For persons with profound Aprox 100 dB loss which of the telecoil or Bluetooth wireless technology would be helpful.A lot of companies are upgrading to Bluetooth aids but is there any study comparing there usefulness in severe and profound hearing loss.

36. Amy says:

My daughter wears a hearing aid in her left ear. With school’s requiring a lot of content to use a computer to complete her work, she needs to be able to hear sound in both of her ears. I do not want her to have to take off her hearing aid to wear headphones… she could lose her hearing aid or leave it somewhere. I prefer that she does not hurt the hearing she has left.

What are the options or what is the best solution for a child with one hearing aid?
    Does anyone use over-the-ear circumaural noise canceling isolating headphones with one hearing aid?

37. Dev says:

It’s a good article. I’m a person who’s wearing a Bluetooth BTE hearing aids (Siemens brand). I currently work as an electrical engineer. I wore many digital hearing aids without a Bluetooth. And now, I have been trying to get use to this new Bluetooth hearing aid since I got it last year. I turned on the Bluetooth hearing aids to listen to the music mostly. I have to say it is impressive, but there is a downside of this. No one in the internet and the reviews ever mentions how safe the “Bluetooth” is. When I turned the Bluetooth on from the hearing aids device to feed a wireless streaming music into my hearing aid, my cochlear begins to beat like a heartbeat like crazy. When I turned it off back into a normal state, it was normal. it didn’t interferes my ears/cochlear. I’m still using this hearing aids without using Bluetooth for a year now, and it’s great so far. I tried it again last week by turning the Bluetooth on, it interfered my inner cochlear again. It’s the first time I encounter with this kind of situation. I spoke with 3 different audiologists and they don’t seem to believe it and listen to my concerns. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one said this. Perhaps the way the company designated this “Bluetooth” streamer isn’t quite compatible for us to use it as a daily basis. If you get a chance to read the manual for the hearing aid, find the Bluetooth section, and you will see the frequency and so on. Mine’s pretty high and strong.

I don’t think the “bluetooth” isn’t safe for us to use it for daily basis yet, or maybe my body is too sensitive to it.

Please share with others.

38. Max says:

So in brief
    Don’t put your headphones near your hearing aid microphone
    thanks a lot

39. Starr Austin says:

I have hard time understanding what they are saying most of the time on tv/movies and general conversations. I would be interested a wireless/bluetooth model. I don’t like bulky headsets though. I am on limited income. What would you recommend?

For the TV/movies I would recommend you check out this article for some good options: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-technology/articles/guide-to-watching-tv-and-movies-with-hearing-loss/

40. me says:

there are special headphones that can connect to hearing aids. my sister have hearing aids and she used the us regular headphones but that wasn’t good for her ears so we got these special ones and she loves them

41. FC_WTX says:

I have some Oticon OPNs and, while they’re great as hearing aids, I would argue they’re only marginal to completely unusable (in certain situations) as headphones. If I’m listening to a news or pod-cast (i.e., mostly talking) sort of thing, then the sound quality is acceptable (at best.) If I want to listen to music, forget it … the sound is thin and tinny. That could be partly due to my type of hearing loss (cookie-bite). Perhaps, if one uses custom molds, the sound is decent enough but, even with what are known as power-domes, for me the sound is mostly terrible. I could, perhaps, ask my audi to create a music setting that boosts some the middle and bass to make music sound better but there’s another issue that I’ve never found a solution for that would make doing so pointless. Specifically, the issue is that the version of low-energy bluetooth being used is very susceptible to interference. Even with news and podcasts, I get pretty frequent pops, gaps, random noise, and, particularly when listening longer than, say, 5 or 10 minutes, one or both aids will get into some weird mode where the sound is slowed, begins to sound very robotic, and then starts cutting out. I need to tell my audi about that. In any case, thanks for the info on bone-conduction head-phones … I’m going to have to check those out.

42. Dan says:

Thank you for this wonderful article! My 9 y.o. daughter has been wearing BTE hearing aids (Oticon Sensei) for almost three years now and finding a compatible set of headphones has been a challenge. With back-to-school season upon us, mom & I again find ourselves trying to find a set of headphones for our daughter that are both (1) comfortable and (b) will not fill her ears with feedback. Our daughter likes the feel of an oversized over-ear style rather than on-ear style for comfort reasons. We will definitely take a look at all of your recommendations to help in our search for her next pair of headphones.

(Previous research included using consumer/store sites for recommendations, but most claims to be “hearing aid compatible” are dubious at best…uneducated at worst.)

Glad you found it helpful!

43. David says:

Most interesting site. It is so good to hear from real experiences as distinct from laboratory testing – of which much must be personal choice, because they all find a different headphone as best buy.
    I have just started investigating headphones – similar to many of your readers and so far acknowledge the advice that over-ear is best for those of us with hearing aids. However, I have tried (in shop)briefly a number of headphones and feedback (with my BTE ) is bad. I have fortunately been able to try (for several hours ) a pair of Bose ON- EAR and I have found them very comfortable with no feedback.

The second point I make is that the quality of sound seems dependant on the source, i.e. mobile phone – still useless ; laptop – better than my current pair but not amazing difference; electric piano – absolutely wonderful, bringing such richness and extra volume too (at similar setting to my current pair).
    Lastly, I was informed by a well known retailer that Noise cancelling headphones just do not work with hearing aids and gave technical explanation (which I couldn’t hear), just wondering if other people have found similarities.

44. Eric Marcano says:

As a newbie, I have KS8 hearing aids. Streaming music from my iPhone directly into them is something I do on an emergency basis only while on-the-go just because the music reproduction is blah. I considered using an equalizer program to listen to music on my Bose QC15 noise cancelling headphones without the hearing aids, but that was turning out to be a pain. Now I just use the headphones with the hearing aids in place. No feedback at all using “Listening to Music” setting. The sound is simply stunning. I really thought I was an audiophile but now…oh my!….I’m hearing so many new subtleties in the arrangements that I just sit there and smile. The bass is rich and palpable and the highs are so detailed now. I highly recommend trying this approach (as well as others mentioned) at a local Best Buy and see what works best with your setup.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying music!

45. Blaine says:

I’ve been considering Sony noise canceling headphones. First I tried Widex beyond and while you can listen to music it doesn’t sound great, you have to keep your phone (iPhone) close, got a lot of interference in busy places and still need noise reduction or isolation in noisy places like trains and planes. My goal is to listen to music or books isolated from sound but, quickly access the outside world. Even with the Widex beyond I had to unlock my phone and go to the app to turn the mics on. So I’m thinking over the ears noise canceling seems like a good option. I currently wear Widex 440s which seem easy to feedback.

Any comments would be helpful.

46. Mathew says:

I have purchased a paid of Direct Input boots and a Direct Input lead wire. This allows me to plug the audio source straight into my hearing aids, and the quality is good. There are automatically two settings with the boots: input from mic & boots together (so you can still pick up background noise), and boots only.

To make them wireless, I also bought a simple bluetooth receiver from amazon, which connects to my phone.

This is also better for the people around me as there’s less sound leak!

47. David Schutzman says:

I wear behind the ear hearing aids with blue tooth capability, so I get the sound from my blue tooth devices directly into my hearing aids. My problem is when flying, the plane noise makes it difficult to hear clearly if I’m trying to listen to a movie. I need some type of noise cancelling headphones that will fit over my entire ear, and minimise the plane noise so I can hear the movie I’m watching. I don’t need the headphone to do anything but block out the noise. Any suggestions?

Hi David
      It sounds like you need to have your hearing aid microphones muted while you are streaming from your Bluetooth device on the plane. This may be an option in the hearing aid app, depending on which hearing aids you have. Otherwise, it will need to be set up by your audiologist in the hearing aid settings software.

48. Hale Bradt says:

With moderate hearing loss, I sport Resound BTE h-aids with bluetooth and non-blocking in-ear cups. I love classical music and care about sound quality. Piping music through the h-aids results in very poor quality through the loss of the low frequencies, due to the tiny in-ear speakers. (With no headphones, the low freqs. come through the openings in the ear cups.) I have yet to try over-the-ear headphones, but hope they work out OK.

If headphones had programmable frequency responses, I could dispense with the h-aids altogether. Would you agree and are they available.

Hi Hale,
      Thank you for the comment. That’s a really good question, the others within the community maybe able to help answer this one better as I’m not 100% sure there is programmable frequency response headphone. Do let us all know if you find a solution.

49. Hi All,

My question is slightly different. I’ve played in bands, record and produce musc for years. I now have significant hi-end loss so mixing has become a problem as ||I struggle to here cymbals and some percussive shakers so, when I place them in the mix, they are much too loud for everyone else. Hearing aids don’t really work as they give an odd tinny quality to the top end of music. Can you get headphones that can be digitally tuned to my hearing loss? I would still do the basic mix with my ears but then put on the phones [if such things exist] to finalise it. I use BTE aids

If the headphones were tuned to your hearing loss I would suspect that you would perceive the same tinny quality that you get with hearing aids.

50. Robyn says:

Hi I wear a pair of Phonak Nadia hearing aids as I am quite deaf I still struggle to hear the TV can you recommend a good set of head phones please that can be used with the TV and maybe the phone ?

1. You should talk to your hearing aid provider about the Phonak accessories that work WITH your hearing aids to enhance your TV and phone experience. The TV Link by Phonak is the best option!